Finding the best sunglasses for driving is like finding the perfect playlist before you start your car. It’s not just about looking cool, but also protecting your eyes from harmful rays.
Even though it feels incredible to have the sun fall on your face, it can be risky when you fail to take precautionary measures. You want to make sure that you can see the road clearly, without glare or distortion.
So, it’s vital to form a habit of wearing sunglasses whenever you’re driving during the day. To help you protect your eyes, we’ve chosen some of the best sunglasses for driving on the market. Best of all, they also get high marks for style. But first, let’s explore why it’s such a big deal to shield your eyes while driving.
Sunglasses: Frequently Asked Questions
If you have ever wondered why it’s essential to wear sunglasses while driving, or which sunglasses to go for, you’ve come to the right place.
Most people don’t give a second thought to their eyewear unless they wear prescription glasses.
However, it’s essential to take a third and fourth look at the accessory that you’re trusting to protect one of your most valuable assets.
Let’s dive into some frequently asked questions about sunglasses.
Why should I wear sunglasses when driving?
The main reason to wear sunglasses when driving is to shield your eyes from glare so you can see where the road clearly and what’s coming at you.
That said, there are even more reasons to consider buying the best sunglasses for driving.
First of all, wearing good sunglasses ensures sure that you’re not distracted by any reflections when driving. They also shield your eyes from foreign matter such as dust, insects, and other things that can zip in through an open window or vent.
Finally, sunglasses serve as a wind barrier and ensure comfort. If you have dry eyes, you know how much it can impact your ability to drive. If you’re on a road trip, driving a convertible, or just going fast with the window down, the wind can cause discomfort to your face and eyes.
What should I look out for when buying sunglasses?
Protection from UV radiation should be a priority when buying sunglasses.
Ideally, the sunglasses you choose should protect your eyes from all the ranges of ultraviolet radiation – UVA, UVB, and UVC.
Another thing to consider is the lens color. You need a tint that can absorb the light that passes through. So, favorite lens colors like amber, neutral grey, brown, or green are worth considering.
Furthermore, they should be polarized to minimize glare or eliminate it completely.
Another good tip is to look out for prescription sunglasses if you require corrective lenses. If you can’t get prescription sunglasses, you can get polarized flip-ups to attach to your regular glasses.
What color lenses are suitable for drivers?
According to experts, the primary role of the tint in lenses is to absorb the light that passes through the glasses.
To consider the best sunglasses for driving, you should gravitate toward neutral gray, amber, brown, or green-tinted lenses. These tend to reduce glare while keeping the road in sharp focus. Yellow tints provide clarity but distort your perception of color. Blue tinted lenses make poor choices for sunglasses.
How good are anti-glare sunglasses?
Anti-glare glasses can save your life in certain circumstances. They shield your eyes from reflections from mirrors, cars with metallic bodies, wet roads, and even bodies of water.
Anti-glare glasses also make it easier to drive at night because they make images sharper and prominent irrespective of the weather conditions.
How We Reviewed the Best Sunglasses for Driving
When examining the best sunglasses for driving, we considered the essential elements that every pair of sunglasses must-have.
We checked on features like UV protection, anti-glare features, affordability, versatility, universal fit, comfort, and polarization.
Additionally, we made sure the sunglasses we picked have high ratings and reviews from verified buyers who have used the products for a considerable amount of time.
If you analyze our picks, you’d realize that they’re highly functional, as well as stylish. See them below.
10 Best Sunglasses for Driving
Sunglasses make the perfect accessory for road trips or driving short distances. Unfortunately, not just any sunglasses will do. You may prefer that they’re fashionable, yet highly functional to keep the harsh rays of the sun out of your eyes.
So, we rounded up the best sunglasses that have these features and more.
Take a look at the 10 best sunglasses for driving.
1. Merry’s 8513
- POLARIZED LENS - Polarized sunglasses reduce glare reflected off of roads, bodies of water, snow, and other horizontal...
- STYLE-2016 Newest Brand Design,It is Suitable For Any Face, Show Your Unique And High-end Taste.
- Suitable- Houseboat ,Driving, Running, Fishing,Racing, Skiing and Climbing, Trekking and Business Or Other Outdoor...
Merry’s is all about elegance and self-confidence, and as such, has created the best sunglasses for driving. Frame 8513 is a high-quality polarized lens with 100 percent UVA and UVB protection.
The composite lens, which is 61 millimeters in width, sits comfortably in an antioxidant frame designed to fit any facial structure and show off unique features.
While driving, your eyes remain safe from glare reflected off the road and other horizontal surfaces.
A great feature about these sunglasses is that they convert true colors into HD quality.
Furthermore, Merry 8513 blocks harsh rays, reduces radiation, enhances contrast, and gives clearer vision. They also have flexible spring hinges and soft and silicone nose pads.
The product comes with a case, soft cloth, soft pouch, polarized text card, and user manual.
2. J+S Premium Classic Aviator
- POLARIZED LENS – specialized multi layer lens designed to filter and block over 99.96% of glare – J+S Polarized...
- UV 400 PROTECTION - J+S Vision lenses are 400UV rated, meaning it can block 99%-100% of both UVA and UVB radiation....
- HIGH QUALITY FRAME - made with metallic alloy that is ultra light weight yet strong and durable. It comes with spring...
These superb sunglasses made our list of the best sunglasses for driving for a reason.
By harnessing the classic military style look, J+S created a distinctive, multi-layer lens designed to filter and block over 99.96 percent of glare from horizontal surfaces. This occurs with the aid of a vertically oriented filter embedded in the lens.
J+S Premium Classic Aviator sunglasses are polarized, lightweight, scratch-resistant, and have high optical clarity. They’re the perfect accessory for driving and other outdoor activities.
A great feature is their UV 400 protection lenses that block out 99 percent of both UVA and UVB radiation.
UV 400 rated lenses protect your eyes from long-term damage. Moreover, they have a high-quality frame made from metallic alloy — making the sunglasses lightweight, yet, strong and durable.
3. Clear Night Original
- ✅ DRIVE SAFELY IN THE DARK: These clear sight driving glasses reduce the blinding glare of oncoming headlights,...
- ✅PROTECT YOUR EYES FROM UV RAYS: The large 66mm W x 36mm H lenses of our polarized night vision glasses are coated...
- ✅ WEAR THEM DAY & NIGHT: Equipped with soft nose pads for max comfort, our night vision glasses for driving are also...
Even though you can wear these sunglasses during the day, Clear Night Originals are nighttime driving sunglasses dedicated to keeping you safe on the road.
The frame is made from a high-grade metal that’s lightweight and has a universal fit. Clear Night uses their patented TAC polarized lens design to protect users from blinding glare.
Moreover, they keep your sunglasses safe with its scratch-resistant features. What makes the Clear Night Originals one of the best sunglasses for driving is that they’re wearable for long hours.ese
This makes them the ideal travel and road trip accessory because they feel comfortable and don’t require continuous adjustment. When you buy these sunglasses, you also get a stylish protective carrying case.
Although Clear Night Originals are a little pricey compared to the J+S Premium Classic Aviators and Merry 8513 sunglasses, they’re still affordable.
4. Optix 55 Night Driving Glasses
- WRAP AROUND GLASSES: These unique fit over night vision goggles can be worn over your prescription glasses, allowing you...
- NIGHTVISION LENSES: Seeing in the dark or nighttime is easier with these shades that act as night vision goggles. The...
- POLARIZED LENSES: These glasses have polarized lenses for glare reduction and increased clarity, which is perfect for...
The best sunglasses for driving should offer enhanced vision while on the road. This is precisely what Optix 55 sunglasses do. Along with wearing them during the day to reduce glare from the sun, you can wear them at night to reduce eye fatigue. Their yellow lenses reduce glare from oncoming headlights to improve your vision while driving.
A cool feature is that they are big enough to fit over your prescription glasses. They also include two holes at the end to insert a chain, so you can keep your glasses on you and conveniently take them on and off when you go from the outdoors to indoors.
Additionally, the Optix 55s come with a microfiber pouch and an EVA storage case.
During the day, the polarized lenses reduce glare and improve clarity. At night, they minimize reflection from other vehicles and wet roads.
5. Gear District UV400
- Polarized lenses: The lenses reduce irritating reflections and glare caused by light reflected from surfaces such as...
- UV 400 Protection: The sunglasses block all three ranges of ultraviolet radiation: UVA, UVB and UVC and protect the...
- Lightweight, Durable, Versatile: The lightweight frame with soft silicone elements is great for driving, running, golf,...
The polarized lenses minimize reflections and glare caused by light hitting bodies of water, wet roads, horizontal surfaces, and other vehicles.
With a lens width of 74 millimeters, the Gear District UV400 sunglasses provide excellent coverage for a long day in the sun.
Additionally, they absorb 100 percent of UV light and eliminate 99 percent of glare. Outside of their affordability, an essential feature that qualifies the Gear District UV400s for the list of best sunglasses for driving is their efficiency.
They have UV400 (hence, the name) protection embedded in the lenses, which blocks UVA, UVB, and UVC from causing harm to your eyes.
These sunglasses are also notable for their durability, their light weight, and their versatility. Due to their silicone composition, they’re the perfect accessory for driving and sporting activities.
The Gear District UV400 sunglasses come in gray, rainbow green, blue, and mirror red.
- POLARIZED LENS - 100% UV400 protection coating, blocks 100% harmful UVA & UVB Rays. Polarized sunglasses reduce glare...
- ALUMINUM MAGNESIUNM METAL ALLOY make frame Strong and light.The Sunglasses only 20g, You can hardly feel them on your...
- REAL UV400 PROTECTION -- ATTCL lenses are engineered to block 100% of all harmful blue light up to 400 nanometers...
We can’t discuss the best sunglasses for driving without considering ATTCL men’s sports sunglasses.
These anti-glare glasses are perfect for outdoor activities like driving, cycling, fishing, skiing, and hiking. The lenses transform the unfiltered colors the naked eye sees into HD, making driving at night clearer and safer.
Additionally, they filter out glare, which subsequently minimizes the possibility of road accidents.
The ATTCL sunglasses feature polarized lenses with UV400 protection. They also restore true color perception and eliminate scattered and reflected light, making them more comfortable to wear for the long haul.
Furthermore, the ATTCL frames consist of aluminum magnesium, which is the metal that makes them sturdy and durable. They’re also affordable and lightweight – weighing in at 20 grams.
For your security and satisfaction, the company offers a 30-day back money guarantee in case there’s a defect or the product doesn’t meet your needs.
- The Soxick Advantage: Focus on night driving glasses, with thousands of valued customers all over the world
- Excellent Polarized Lens: Effectively eliminate glare and reduce eye fatigue, improve color clarity and optical...
- Superior Metal Frame: Aluminum-magnesium metal alloy make frame strong and light, suitable for most faces
Any manufacturer that wishes to qualify for the best sunglasses for driving list needs to create a product that fits all the different face types and shapes. And that’s precisely what Soxick did.
Their polarized sunglasses have an adjustable nose pad with spring handles that can stretch to fit different face sizes.
The curvature of the frames can also be fine-tuned to match users with narrow or broader faces. Like the ATTCL sunglasses, the frames for the Soxick sunglasses are made from aluminum magnesium, ensuring comfortability when worn for long hours.
Furthermore, the lenses have UV400 protection, which blocks out harmful ultraviolet rays that are damaging to the eyes. The UV 400 protection goes a long way to alleviate eye fatigue and prevent eye diseases such as snow blindness and cataracts.
- Lightweight Polarized Sunglasses - 100% Protection Against Harmful UVA/UVB & UVC Rays. This pair of mens sunglasses with...
- Comfortable Nose Pads Design-This pair of polarized sunglasses for men with its one-piece nose pads design which will...
- Quality Hinge-This pair of sunglasses for men uses the quality combo kit as hinge, effectively prevent the screws off,...
The Sinuoda polarized sunglasses are definitely among the best sunglasses for driving.
The lenses are rectangular and take their style inspiration from a vintage era, making them the perfect fashion statement.
Furthermore, they are Tri-Acetate Cellulose (TAC) protected and as such, designed to minimize glare and eye fatigue effectively. The Sinuoda sunglasses are lightweight, scratch-resistant, and provide protection from UVA, UVB, and UVC rays.
This makes them the perfect accessory for road trips and outdoor activities. They also feature comfortable nose pads, which never pinch your nose bridge. So they’re stable and comfortable to wear for long hours.
Additionally, the well-designed temple bars mean the Sinuoda sunglasses won’t slip and slide when you move.
9. Juli TR90
- ❤POLARIZED HD VISION LENS - Not only protect you from harmful UV rays, they're built for maximum impact resistance,...
- ❤TR90 UNBREAKABLEA AND SUPERLIGHT FRAME - TR90,a lightweight, durable polymer with extreme bending strength known for...
- ❤IN ACCORDANCE WITH ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Those glasses are constructed using special design techniques, ensuring you...
The Juli TR90s, without a doubt, are one of the best sunglasses for driving. They have polarized HD vision lenses, which not only protects you from harmful UV rays but also makes it the ideal eyewear for driving on bright, sunny days.
They’re great for vigorous activities, and their 60MM lens width ensures that debris doesn’t enter into your eyes to cause any harm or interrupt your performance.
The Juli TR90s are unbreakable and feature a super-light frame. They consist of a lightweight polymer, which makes them durable and enables them to retain their curved shape.
In line with the unique look of all Juli’s eyewear, the TR90s have an ergonomic design and were constructed using patented techniques that guarantee your comfort during driving, cycling, hiking, and other sports activities.
Interestingly, the TR90s will easily pass as a high-fashion accessory because of their shape and lens color.
- ULTIMATE NIGHT DRIVING EXPERIENCE: NOVATICA’s Driving glasses made exclusively for men and women with striking sports...
- REDUCED GLARE PROTECTION FOR NIGHT DRIVING: NOVATICA glass lenses are made with shatterproof thin TAC material using...
- UV PROTECTION FOR PERFECT OUTDOORS: UV rays damage your eyes without any warning, accelerate eye related deceases and...
Novatica’s anti-glare sunglasses ensure comfort and functionality. The high utility TAC lenses have a yellow HD polarized layer and UV protection to enhance vision, even during snowy or foggy days.
Novatica’s sunglasses are reportedly able to reduce headaches, improve blurred vision, and reduce strain on the eyes. Additionally, the lenses are shatterproof, since they consist of a thin TAC material.
The anti-glare feature ensures that users aren’t distracted by bright headlights, reflection on shiny objects, and weather conditions that cause blurred vision and car accidents.
UV protection is a well sought-after feature by outdoor enthusiasts, so Novatica created sunglasses that block all three ranges of ultra-violet rays: UVA, UVB, and UVC.
They also feature anti-slip temple arm tips and soft nose pads to make you feel comfortable wearing them all day long.
Keeping Your Vision Free from Obstruction: Final Thoughts
Car accidents are widespread in the United States and other countries across the world. Reportedly, most of these accidents are a result of recklessness, alcohol and drug consumption, and distraction.
However, problems with vision have caused their fair share of unfortunate incidents and accidents.
The best sunglasses for driving aren’t there to only make fashion statements. They’re there to make sure that you return home safely from your kids’ house, the store, and even road trips.
When purchasing, make sure that your sunglasses have the essential elements of UV protection, a comfortable framework, and anti-glare lenses.
Do you wear sunglasses while driving? Are they comfortable and functional? What do you look for in the best sunglasses for driving? Share your thoughts below.