When you’re over the age of 50, it can be hard to find dresses that are both proper and affordable. Not only that, staying on-trend and fashion-forward doesn’t get easier as we get older. Luckily, there are a plethora of common styles out there that are not only easy to find but that are affordable, stylish, and perfect for an older woman. Keep reading below to learn more about finding the perfect dresses for women over 50.
Types of Dresses
Are you looking for the best dresses for women over 50 that are both fashionable and comfortable? The wrap dress is your answer. Not only is this one of the most comfortable dress styles you can wear, but they are also one of the most versatile dress styles out there.
Wrap dresses are wonderfully variable. Pair a wrap dress with an updo hairstyle, and you instantly turn an otherwise casual style into something much more elegant. Wrap dresses are ideal for hourglass and pear-shaped body types, however, with the right style and sleeve length, this dress can work well with every body type.
- S=US 4-6, M=US 8-10,L=US 12,XL=US 14，XXL=US 16
- This maxi features a wrap design, v-neckline,frill hemline and short butterfly sleeves making it an easy-to-wear...
- The Floral Long Maxi Dress Perfect for a slouchy barefoot beach walk or pair with our slides and a brimmed hat to add a...
- BRAND INTRODUCTION: Relipop is a registered trademark. We are committed to providing high quality fashion clothing to...
- HIGH QUALITY FABRIC: 95% Polyester+5% Cotton, soft, comfortable, breathable, skin-friendly, comfy to touch and wear,...
- STYLISH DESIGN: Dot print makes you more fashion. Wrap front makes you more attractive. Ruffle hem makes this dress...
One of the most ideal dresses for women over 50 is the sheath dress. The sheath dress is a dress is usually unadorned and plain. Sheath dresses typically cling to the body and, as such, are suggested for hourglass-shaped body types. If you’d like to try a sheath dress, but don’t have an hourglass body type, you can try adding a belt around the waist to cinch and add definition.
If you’re looking for simple dresses for women over 50, the sheath dress will most likely be your answer. Unlike a cocktail dress, which tend to hug the body, sheath dresses tend to fall right below the knee. It is uncommon for a sheath dress to be floor-length.
- This is a Style Arc sewing pattern for a sleeveless slip-on dress with in-seam pockets. You will love this casual sheath...
- Sizes 10-22 included
- Difficulty rating: Medium
Fit And Flare Dresses
A fit and flare dress is also known as a skater dress. The fit and flare dress is tight on top and flares outwards at the natural waist. The skirt of a fit and flare dress is generally a full circle. High-low skirts for this style of dress are out there, but recommended for a younger generation.
The fit and flare style is one of the best dresses for women over 50 that you can have in your fashion arsenal. The fit and flare dress is ideal for apple and rectangular shaped body types, however, this is a style that, with the right accessories, can work for almost any body shape.
- This womens sexy sleeveless dress is made of 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex.The fabric is stretchy,lightweight and...
- This sexy dress features strappy straps, sleeveless design, adjustable shoulder straps and ruffle hem. The ruffle hem...
- Many ways to wear: You can just wear this sexy mini dress out or you can pair with jackets or coat as a sexy slip dress....
- 【Material】: Rayon 95% and Spandex 5%.This casual little dress uses very soft material make you feel comfortable all...
- 【Features】: Wide scoop neckline and tie strap design shows more skin and looks slimmer,with pleated high waist a...
- 【Occasions】:Casual solid colour mini dress,perfet for beach,party,date,travel,club and home.Simple design dress,pair...
A maxi dress is a floor-length or ankle-length dress that is generally casual in style. Maxi dresses can encompass a variety of styles, being fitted, loose, and sometimes both. The most popular Maxi dress style is the style that is tight on top and flows down from the natural waist.
Maxi dresses are surprisingly versatile and can be dressed up or dressed down for almost any occasion. What makes maxi dresses one of the best dresses or women over 50 is that they give you the option to cover most, if not all, of your legs. Maxi dresses are great. However, it is imperative, if the style does not cinch at the waist, that you accentuate the waist.
- Cotton blend,a little thin,super soft and feel cool in this hot summer.Hand wash recommended, hang dry
- Daringly sexy and charming, making you attractive!Look perfect with this maxi dress by pairing it with your favorite...
- Feature: bohemia wind basic dress,blue and white porcelain,strapless maxi long dress.A definite must-have for this...
- Material:95% Rayon,5% Spandex,Note 1:The WHITE color is a little bit see through, pairing a nude,lighter color underwear...
- Fabric:Super soft, stretchy and lightweight,can be easily dress up or dress down.
- Features: Round neck,short sleeves,two side pockets,floor length,elastic at waist,not lined,maxi dresses,casual basic...
Dresses for women over 50 almost always include a shift dress style. Shift dresses are popular for women over 50 because they are practically always supremely comfortable. Beyond their comfort, shift dresses are also incredibly versatile and perfect for any occasion.
Shift dresses, although popular, do not generally, have defined waistlines. Shift dresses are suggested for hourglass, apple shape, and pear-shaped body types. We suggest shift dresses in solid colors; avoid bold prints and patterns.
Looking for classic dresses for women over 50? The blouson dress is an iconic style that has been popular for years. A blouson dress is a dress that has a billowing top accompanied by a tight fitting skirt. A blouson, as you can guess by the name, is meant to appear like it is a blouse and a skirt separately.
Blouson dresses are suggested for hourglass and inverted triangle body shapes. Although less versatile in nature, the blouson dress is a beautiful choice for more formal occasions. Always remember to keep the style at or below the knee.
Staying in fashion is difficult and it, unfortunately, doesn’t get any easier as we get older. Luckily there are a few style and fashion tips that remain true. Those fashion tips are as follows:
- The right size is everything; don’t be afraid of heading to your local tailor to get the right fit
- Always define your waistline
- Keep skirts and dresses knee-length or below
- Consider shapewear when needed
- Modesty is sexier than showing too much skin
- Don’t over-accessorize
- Stay away from loud prints
How Do You Accentuate Your Waist?
There are many styles of dresses for women over the age of 50 that may need a little bit of help. One of the ways in which you can turn an okay dress into a great dress is by accentuating the waist. You can accentuate the waist on a dress in the following ways:
- Tie a belt around the waist
- Tie a scarf around the waist
- Wear a tight-fitting jacket
- Wear a tight-fitting cardigan
What Are The Different Body Types And Shapes?
Selecting a dress style can be easy if you know your body shape and type. You can easily find out what your body type is by measuring your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips. From these measurements you can determine if you have one of the four body types:
- Inverted triangle
The Best Dresses For Women Over 50
Have At Least One LBD (Little Black Dress)
One of the dresses for women over 50 that is imperative for you to own is a little black dress. The LBD, or little black dress, should be a staple in every woman’s wardrobe. Little black dresses can take the form of almost any dress style and can most usually be dressed up or down.
The best part about little black dresses are their versatility. Being able to throw on a cardigan and head to the grocery store or a killer pair of heels and head out on the town, is what makes them so popular. Always make sure to invest in a great fitting dress; don’t be afraid to head to a tailor if you need to!
- Fabric has some stretch, comfy and slim fit.Suggest to choose a size Larger
- Features: Mesh Long Sleeve, Stand Neck, Bishop Sleeve, Split Hem
- Good for homecoming, cocktail, office, work, vocation, business, formal and daily wear
- Features: short dress, V-neck, bell sleeve, shift dress, sweet & cute, soft and attractive
- Material: Made of high quality and high density chiffon with non-elasticity and breathability. Please refer to the above...
- Occasion: Perfect outfit for summer and autumn daily wear, school, casual, beach, vacation, date, party, club, etc.
Wrap dresses look great on everyone. Whether you have a pear-shaped body, hourglass figure, or you’re looking to accentuate your waist; the wrap dress is absolutely perfect! The best part about wrap dresses are the variety of ways in which you can wear them.
You can easily dress up or dress down a wrap dress. Wrap dresses are a great way to cinch the waist and flatter the figure. If you’re short, try going for a three-quarter-length sleeve to further flatter your body.
Sleeveless Sheath Dresses
If you’re looking for dresses for women over 50, then you have to consider a sleeveless sheath dress. A sleeveless sheath dress is perfect for any occasion and flatters almost any body shape. Worried about showing too much skin or leaving your arms bare? Try this look with a tight-fitting cardigan or jacket to flatter the figure and achieve an on-trend look.
If you’re interested in the sleeveless sheath dress, we suggest looking for a jewel-tone color. Jewel tones look great on all skin colors. Additionally, make sure you keep the length at or below your knees.
Fit And Flare Dresses
Fit and flare dresses, also known as the skater dress, is a flirty and youthful style that’s appropriate for all ages. This dress is snug at the top and flares outward at the waist. The amount of flare that a dress may have varies.
Some fit and flare dresses have tulle or added fabric to create a fuller bottom. The best part about this style is that it flatters every body shape and always accentuates the waist. That’s what makes the fit and flare dress one of the best dresses for women over 50.
Finding a dress that fits your personal style isn’t easy. Always remember to select a style that works best for your body shape. Additionally, try to choose colors and patterns that flatter your coloring and tones best. Jewel tones are always an excellent choice for any skin tone and hair color.
As we age, it can be easy to become discouraged when it comes to fashion. Just remember, shopping isn’t easy for everyone, and sometimes it will take multiple trips to the dressing room before you find the perfect fit. Whether you’re concerned about hiding problem areas, flattering your body shape, or finding a dress that won’t break the bank, there’s a dress out there perfect for you! Always remember the golden rule, the dress not only has to make you look great, it, most importantly has to make you feel great too.
Last update on 2021-02-12 at 00:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API