Age truly is just a number, and that number should not control your life. You are free to explore, have fun, and reinvent yourself at any age. Plus, the average life expectancy today is so much higher than it was years ago. Turning 50 is like turning 30 all over again. And in terms of hair, short is in right now for older and younger women. Many people have taken to short pixie cuts or bobs these days, regardless of age. Now is the time to take that jump and try something new.
Why Mature Women Like Short Hair
One of the biggest plus sides to trying out one of these short hairstyles for older women is time. Whether it's in the shower or in front of the mirror, a short hairstyle will save you tons of time in the morning. Depending on which of the short hairstyles for older women you choose to get for yourself, you will have a different amount of flexibility with your styling. The shorter the hair, the less room you will have to play while styling, but the more time you will save in the morning. This is why it will be important to consider which hairstyle fits your lifestyle, your personality, and your motivation.
What is also great about chopping a lot of your hair off is the level of control you have. With long hair, you always have to worry about humidity, rain, wind, whether your hair will cooperate that day, and a million other tiny variables. Of course, these details may still affect your hair, but now they will be so minuscule, you may not even notice. With short hair, there is less to be disrupted by mother nature and has fewer chances to be affected by unruly hair that refuses to be controlled. You will have better hair days more often and feel great about it every time.
To top all of this off, short hairstyles for older women also lighten up your load. You will feel lighter, freer, and be able to sleep better without all that hair getting in the way. Your neck will be free and the shorter cut will probably keep you cooler in the summer. It is likely that many of these hairstyles will even make you look younger than you already feel.
Amazing Short Hairstyles for Older Women
Below are a few options of short hairstyles for older women. All of these hairstyles can easily be obtained from your local hair salon. Consider the pros and cons to each look and decide which is the best for you.
The bob is one of the classic short hairstyles for older women. There are many different iterations of the bob, but in its basic form this is a hairstyle where it is shortest in the back and gradually gets a little longer in the front. You can choose to be as drastic or as subtle as you want. You can even keep it straight all the way across if you’d like.
- Double Ceramic Flat Iron: This flat iron features 1 inch double ceramic coated plates. Straighten hair or create loose,...
- Styling Control: This ceramic flat iron has extra long floating plates for faster styling with less damage, 5 heat...
- Wavy or Sleek: Whether you want to add volume and flip or create pin straight styles, Conair's full line of ceramic,...
- Professional salon model hair styling iron
- 1” ceramic plates for easy glide
- Versatile styling tool: Flip, Curl & Style
- CERAMIC COATING: Your secret weapon for a healthy looking finish. Ionic tourmaline helps fight frizz and create shine.
- ERGONOMIC: Create beautiful straight or wavy styles with this lightweight, ergonomically slim-profile 1-inch flat iron.
- COVERAGE: Extra-long plates provide a larger hair styling surface for more coverage and helps you quickly glide your way...
The nice thing about this hairstyle is that it allows you to still have a bit to play with in terms of style. It works with thick and wavy hair, but also with thin and straight hair. You can still curl, flat iron, or tease a bob, or choose to let it be natural.
The pixie cut is the image most people see when they think about short hairstyles for older women. This style often varies in length depending on the person but is the shortest of the short hairstyles. Depending on the cut and on how you want to present yourself, you can get more of an elegant pixie, a stylish rock-and-roll pixie, or a standard pixie.
What’s great about this cut is the maintenance. Besides washing it, there is not really anything else you have to do. If you keep it a bit longer, you may have the option to tease it a little for some volume. Generally speaking, you can save hours of time in your day-to-day life with your pixie cut.
If you are not quite ready to take the big leap into a really short hairstyle, you may want to consider a lob. Lobs are long bob haircuts that typically fall somewhere between the bottom of your chin and your shoulders. This is a good way to experiment without fully committing to something very short.
One of the great things about a lob is that you still have all the styling options that you had with long hair.
- Ceramic Curling Iron: Designed to create beautiful, classic curls, this 1 inch curling iron features higher ceramic...
- Versatile Function: This curling iron boasts 30 heat settings with instant heat up to 375 degree F and Turbo Heat boost...
- Easy Operation: This double ceramic curling iron offers the best in heat and damage protection and anti frizz control;...
- Instant Heat 1" Curling Iron: Delivers instant heat for instantly perfect styling with 30 Second Heat Up and features...
- Pinpoint Styling: This curler features 25 heat settings and a Turbo Heat Button that adds a burst of heat for added...
- Curls for All Hair Types: Create all kinds of curls, waves, and styles with our full range of traditional curling irons,...
- Curling wand with different size can make different hairstyles：The sizes of Wavytalk 5 in 1 curling wands are 1 inch...
- The Unique Curling brush engineered longer thermal bristles that grab and gently glide through the hair, helping to wrap...
- Heats Up Instantly: This 5 in 1 curling wand set made of high quality PTC & Ceramic Technology which help to make smooth...
Curling, flat ironing, even braiding can still be done to give your cut some added sass. But then you also get the easier maintenance with a lob that you would get with one of the other short hairstyles for older women. It really is the best of both worlds and can give you a real boost in confidence.
Side Swept Bangs
Image Source: https://www.pinterest.ph
If you are looking for something that is kind of like the pixie cut but not quite as drastic, you may want to consider the side swept bangs. This is a youthful cut that keeps you looking professional and fun all at once. It has a similar style to the pixie cut but is kept slightly longer in both the front and back. There are then bangs that sweep from one side of your head across the forehead to the opposite side of your face.
One of the great things here are the bangs. Bangs are often known to add a bit of extra youth to your appearance and really liven up your hair. They can also act as a coverup for any receding hairlines and adds another boost of volume to your hair. If you let the bangs sweep down past your eyes, it can also draw attention to your eyes. While you may not be able to curl your hair as easily with this look, you will still be able to stun a room with your beauty with these side swept bangs.
There are many different short hairstyles for older women including the bob, the pixie cut, the lob, and the side-swept bangs. Each style has its own benefits and downfall, but all of them are guaranteed to liven up your image and make you look as young as you feel inside.
What you should take away here is that you are not too old to try out a new look. There are so many short hairstyles for older women, and you should not be afraid to go for something out of your comfort zone. Rock that pixie cut. Add some bangs to your look. Try out the bob. Maybe you combine multiple elements and create your own image entirely. Who knew! Show the world your inner youth with whatever style suits you best. Most importantly, feel good about who you are both inside and out because you deserve to.
Last update on 2022-11-27 at 10:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API